Our listing of the best Cape Town events in June will give you an updated events calendar with some of the best events in June 2019. Cape Town is known for its ‘moody’ weather in winter. The usually breezy or foggy days are maybe not for sunbathing, but the wildness of the coastline is something you have to experience. Temperatures can get a cold 13 degrees C, but when the sun is out, temperatures are often as high as 25 degrees C. So much for a cold winter! And remember that water is scarce everywhere, so stick to the water restrictions of 100 litres per person/day and save as much water as possible to keep our taps running in the months to come.
There is plenty do and enjoy in Cape Town in winter, no matter if the sun is shining or it is pouring outside. Watch how fast the clouds accumulate and disperse over the ocean and take in one of the most stunning orange sky during the sunsets you will ever see when dining out at any of the seaside restaurants along the Atlantic coast. And some have cozy log fires, so no excuse for not heading down to South Africa during winter!
What’s on in Cape Town in June?
There is one public holidays this month. Youth Day, a public holiday, falls on Sunday 16 June this year and thus Monday, 17 June 2019 will be a public holiday. This is also the first weekend of school holidays as the public schools in South Africa will break up for their winter school holidays on 14 June (until 8 July 2019).
June is a great month to explore the fascinating autumn colours of the Cape winelands and go for some nature walks in the Cape national parks or to join any of the wonderful winter festivals happening this month.
So here is a selection of great activities and Cape Town events in June, as you will see when you take a closer look at the events calendar below.
• Cape Town, V & A Waterfront: Vintage with Love. 31 May – 2 June 2019. Charity Drive at the Cruise Liner Arrival Hall. More info.
• Cape Town, CBD: Cape Town Coffee Festival 2019. 1 – 2 June 2019. At the Castle of Good Hope. Tickets: From R150 (online). More info.
• Cape Town, Artscape Theatre: Not now, not my Children. 3 June 2019. At the arena. Tickets: From R150. More info.
• Cape Town, Baxter Theatre: Flemish Dance Season. 4/5 and 7/8 June 2019. ‘Requiem Pour L’ and ‘(B)’ are blending cultures to create a new universe and an choreograph an ode to boxing, dance and life. Tickets: From R100. More info.
• Cape Town, Baxter Theatre: Ukuwa Kwe Nkaba. 4 – 8 June 2019. Drama played in isiXhosa. No children under 13 years. Tickets: From R60. More info.
• Cape Town, CBD: First Thursdays. 6 June 2019. For the full program: More info.
• Cape Town, various locations: Encounters – South African International Film Documentary Festival. 6 – 16 June 2019. Film screenings from all over the world at the Labia Theatre, the V&A Waterfront cinemas and more. Tickets: depending on location. More info.
• Cape Town, Artscape: Youth Jazz Festival 2019. 8 June 2019. Tickets: R80. More info.
Cape Town, Camps Bay: Marc Lottering – Not a musical. 12 – 29 June 2019. One of South Africa’s funniest comedians at the Theatre on the Bay. Tickets from R100 at Computicket. More info.
• Cape Town CBD, CTICC: Source Africa Trade Show. 12 – 14 June 2019. At the Cape Town International Convention Centre. Free entry. More info.
• Durbanville, Willowbridge: 101 Hits. 12 June 2019 – 4 August 2019. Rollercoaster through 60 years of the best 101 hits in one show. Enjoy great music and experience the typical atmosphere of the Barnyard. Tickets: From R165. More info.
• Cape Town, CBD: International Albinism Awareness Day Concert. 13 June 2019. Awareness Campaign with concert and lots of family activities at Artscape Theatre. Tickets: R50. Activities start at 15h. More info.
• Cape Town, Goodwood: Ben Harper. 14 June 2019. At the Grand West Casino. Tickets: R245. More info.
• Gordons Bay: Winterwonderland. 14 – 16 June 2019 and 21 – 23 June 2019. Enjoy ‘Christmas’ in June in the Western Cape at the Gordon’s Bay festival of lights and carnival weekends. Tickets: R20 per day/Children R10. More info.
• Cape Town, Artscape: Mzansi Many Roots One Tree! 20 – 21 June 2019. Local content repertoire will provide a wonderful concert with great community feel. Tickets: R150. More info.
• Cape Town, Rondebosch: Morning Melodies: An Operatic Showcase. 26 June 2019. popular arias and duets from Mozart to Morricone at the Baxter Theatre. Tickets: R43. More info.
Other great Events in June in the Western Cape
Below find some more Cape Town events in June, if you fancy a drive out of town to the beautiful Cape winelands or a trip further afield along the Overberg and the Garden Route. For more great events in June all over South Africa, click here.
• Robertson: Robertson Wacky Wine Weekend. 7 – 9 June 2019. If you fancy an outing to the lovely Robertson Wine Valley and love great wine and food, you should not miss this special event. Tickets: R200. More info.
• Hermanus: Hermanus Fynarts Festival. 7 – 17 June 2019 with various events and family entertainment. More info.
• Calitzdorp: Calitzdorp Port and Wine Festival. 15 – 17 June 2019. Popular winter festival in the stunning Klein Karoo. More info.
• Knysna: Oyster Festival. 21 – 30 June 2019: Fun foodie event and family entertainment. More info.
• Tulbagh: Christmas in Winter: 22 – 23 June 2019. Join in the celebration of award-winning wines, top class olives and other products of the Valley. Family entertainment. Tickets: R100. More info.
• Swellendam: Phoenix Festival of Fire. 21 – 23 June 2019. Trance Festival. More info.
• Grahamstown/Eastern Cape: National Arts Festival. 27 June 2019 – 7 July 2019: South Africa’s biggest arts festival with multitude of inspirational events from drama to dance. More info.
More Cape Town Events in June – Not only for kids and expats 😉
• Cape Town, Bellville: Tygerberg Children’s Choir. 9 June 2019. Children’s choir performance at Hugo Lambrechts Auditorium. Cape Town events in June – Tickets: R120 at computicket. More info.
• Cape Town, CBD: Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs. 15 – 28 June 2019. Popular children’s character in family show at the Artscape Theatre. Tickets: R90. More info.
• Cape Town, Rugby: Father’s Day Lunch. 16 June 2019. Italian Club Celebrations are open for non-members as well. Tickets: R300 (non-members). More info.
Do you know of any other great Cape Town events in June which is worth adding here?
Please contact me and share your info about Cape Town events in June. Other expatriates in Cape Town will be grateful to hear a lecture, see a play or listen to music from their home countries too. Thanks a lot for your help:-)
Interested in more Cape Town Insider Tips, please subscribe to my monthly ExpatCapeTown Newsletter here.
If you are looking for tickets for other Cape Town events, please refer to Computicket website: www.computicket.com, where you can find more info on Cape Town events in June.